Critical Steps to Improving Network Security
Proper enterprise network security is of vital importance to data protection and the ongoing productivity of an organization. With the increased use of technology that helps enterprises to maintain the competitive edge, most businesses are required to employ IT security personnel full-time to ensure networks are protected from the rapidly growing industry of cyber crime.
IT security professionals are responsible for monitoring the network for security vulnerabilities on a daily basis. Vulnerabilities are holes in the network that hackers can use to perform exploits. An exploit can potentially cripple a network and bring down an organization for an indefinite period of time. To protect a network against unauthorized access you must use one or more of the following methods to provide network security:
- Penetration Testing: Penetration testing is a form of hacking but in the ethical sense of the word. This is because it is used by IT security professionals as a tool to test a network for any vulnerabilities. During penetration testing IT professionals use the same methods that hackers use to exploit a network to identify network security breaches. This procedure is carried out with proper permission from the company.
- Transport Layer Security: Transport Layer Security is a network security feature used by companies that require data protection during transmission. When Transport Layer Security is deployed a digital certificate identifies the network along with the use of encryption keys to secure data during transmission. This type of technology is typically used by enterprises that require secure email correspondence, instant messaging communications, or VoIP applications.
- Intrusion Detection: Intrusion detection systems are capable of identifying suspicious activities or acts of unauthorized access over an enterprise network. This type of technology examines each packet of information that passes through a network to determine if a security breach is present. The examination includes a malware scan, review of general network activity, system vulnerability check, unauthorized program check, file settings monitoring, and any other activities that are out of the ordinary.
- Network Access Control: Network Access Controls are delivered using different methods to control network access by the end user. NACs offer a defined security policy which is supported by a network access server that provides the necessary access authentication and authorization. The security policy defines access based on the type of access needed by the end user and the specific reason the end user requires access.
- Packet Sniffer: IT professionals deploy packet sniffers which monitor the information packets during network transmission, password use, and other sensitive data. Packet sniffers enhance network security by tracking and monitoring data for any suspicious activity or unauthorized access.
These are a few of the primary methods that are used to improve network security. If you research the topic further you will find additional strategies which are employed for securing a network. If you are looking to improve network security, contact Thrive Networks today for assistance with designing a strategy that caters to the data protection needs for your business.